The Convention & Visitors Bureau, VISIT DENVER, has debuted a newly improved VISIT DENVER app for both major smart phone platforms. The app provides visitor information including detailed maps, must-see attractions, photos, and is a user-friendly way to discover the best of Denver. Although the app is in a test stage, it is expected to launch publicly later this month.
The new app will work on all iOS and Android platforms, including iPhone, iPod Touch and all Android models. It features more than 2,000 listings of events, attractions, restaurants, hotels and shopping options, as well as detailed Denver maps with walking or driving directions, photos from top attractions, and articles about the city. The app also uses Facebook Connect, so users can share their experiences with friends. All of the information on the apps will also be included on a mobile-enabled website that will launch in June 2012.
The app is organized with a badge system. Users navigate to the “Dares” section and select the badge category of their choice. Within the category they will find multiple Dares that will allow them to earn that badge. Users can save all the activities they want to experience, putting them in a “Favorites” queue for later.
When a user is at a Dare location, they can navigate to that activity and “check in” via a button. The user will be notified of the badge they have earned and the badge will post to the user’s Facebook wall.
Users can also start the process on the companion DenverDares.com website by saving activities on their computer and then syncing them via Facebook Connect when the app is launched in mid-June.
The new “Truth or Dare” marketing campaign encourages visitors to choose “Dares” that will help them discover new things about Denver. There are 10 badge categories and more than 130 Denver Dares, each one representing an aspect of the Mile High experience. The categories include:
- Family Fun; From the brand new Toyota Elephant Passage at the Denver Zoo to the thrills of Elitch Gardens Theme & Water Park, Denver is packed with activities for all ages.
- Open Air: 850 miles of paved, off-road bike trails, a pioneering bike share program, Denver B-cycle and more are featured in this badge.
- Western Spirit: Discover the new History Colorado Center, see Western art at the Denver Art Museum and visit Buffalo Bill’s final resting place.
- Rocky Mountain Explorer: Denver is just a short drive from the Rocky Mountains, including Mount Evans, the highest paved auto road in North America, and Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Culture Pass: Enjoy a wide array of Mile High arts and culture, including Broadway shows at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, art at the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver, and exclusive exhibits such as Yves Saint Laurent: The Retrospective at the Denver Art Museum.
- Denver (Un)Plugged: See a great variety of shows at concert venues indoor and out, including the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
- Go Pro: Denver is home to seven professional sports teams that thrill sold out crowds year-round.
- Eat Drink Denver: Enjoy everything from gourmet street food to fine dining in the Mile High City, not to mention a wealth of craft breweries and distilleries.
- Shop Local: Destinations as Larimer Square, Denver Pavilions, Cherry Creek Shopping District as well as hidden gems located in neighborhoods throughout the city are featured in this badge.
- Epic Events: Festivals ranging from free music fests, such as Denver Day of Rock, to cultural celebrations, such as Denver PrideFest, can be found in this badge.
The app can be accessed on iTunes for users of iPhones and iPod Touches, or by searching for “Denver” on the Apple App Store and looking for the Denver mountain logo.
Android users can visit the Google Play Apps section (formerly the Android Marketplace) and search for “Denver” and look for the Denver mountain logo.Meetings + Events E-newsletter Sign Up